Friday 7 January 2022

Laura Morrigan reviews The Anti-consumerist Druid

Woke up this morning to a lovely advance review of my book The Anti-consumerist Druid from blogger Laura Morrigan

It's a pretty in-depth review, and like me, Laura has a strong interest in quirky fashion and alternative lifestyles, as well as having had a similar outdoorsy childhood, so I was fascinated to read about her own experiences with consumerism and overshopping. 

I found it particularly interesting that Laura found the Cottagecore lifestyle driving some of her purchases, despite it being a lifestyle encouraging simple, natural living, because I often experience the same pull to purchase when looking at some of my favourite simple-living Instagrammers such as @folk_hattie and @along_the_hedgerow. Is it because the lifestyles are portrayed in a very strong visual manner on social media, so if we already have that susceptibility towards wanting to shop and to consume, our first tendency is to try to recreate those visual aspects we feel inspired by, rather than focusing on other facets such as activities or mindset? Is it something to do with the nature of the media itself? I definitely experience more desire to shop when I spend more time online.

But I'm getting side-tracked! I was delighted by Laura's review, which you can read here.

 



"The Anti-consumerist Druid is a book that helps identify issues and solve them in a more creative way. It reminds us “the panacea for shopping is not asceticism” and to embrace creativity and mindfulness over consumerism. To simply do creative things and embrace the everyday joys that life has to offer.

Like Townsend I find “I want to fill my life with the richness of doing, even if I’m not very good at everything I turn my hand to, rather than spending my days passively consuming what other people have made.”

Personally, I think this book has inspired me to be more mindful of what I consume and how it affects me and those around me. It has reminded me of the importance of real connection and to become the person we want  instead of just trying to build a personality through consumption and social media.

5 Stars." - Laura Morrigan

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I read her review this morning too! It was EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura is a fantastic writer herself so I'm absolutely thrilled! :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed Laura's review very much. It was great. And it seems your book is just as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete