Thursday 13 January 2022

Shopper's Guilt

We all know about buyer's remorse, but I'd like to coin a new term: shopper's guilt. This is something I have noticed I now feel when buying, well, anything, from a new item of clothing - even when necessary - to a hot chocolate on a cold day. I think it stems from having tried for so long not to buy anything at all. I love to see whole weeks of no-spend days on the page in my journal where I write down my daily spends, and sometimes it's hard to remember that groceries, birthday gifts for other people's kids, and even - deep breath here - the occasional treat, are not failures.

The thing is, I've read about so many people who successfully completed a year-long shopping ban that I just assumed it was something I would be able to do with enough willpower. I didn't really take into consideration other factors at play in my life, such as the struggle I'd had to put a wardrobe together post-baby. As long-term readers will know, due to a number of factors such as lack of self-esteem and not much sense of personal identity, my wardrobe for the last couple of years has largely been made up of items gifted by friends and family during their own clearouts, which helped to tide me over when I didn't have money to spend to buy new items for my changed body and really needed a break from online shopping.

But now, three years after the Spud's birth, I am finally starting to get comfortable with who I am, what my shape is and what I like, and I'm able to make good choices about what to buy and when. But I felt so guilty about wanting to do so, when I already had things I could wear.

Then recently I read Real Life Money by Claire Seal. Actually I put off reading it for ages after checking out the sample, because I was super invested in trying to be as anticonsumerist as possible at all costs, and sentences like "it's not about bullying yourself into frenzied frugality and then beating yourself up when, inevitably, you need to buy a new toothbrush on a 'no spend day'," gave me the Fear. I'd learned to think in very simple terms regarding money - spending = bad. I was sceptical - and nervous - about the suggestion that there might be other ways to tackle my shopping habit other than the extreme frugality method.

But after feeling terrible for buying myself a new jacket - even though I'd already identified that I needed one, and had had it on my wishlist for nearly a year - I decided I'd better give it a go. I've gotten way better with money since starting this blog - I actually have savings now - but I was tired of the guilt. I'd spent years feeling small because I shopped too much - now I felt bad if I shopped at all, which didn't really feel like an improvement.

After reading Real Life Money - or rather, devouring it in two days - I bought two items from a local business run by some friends of mine - a pair of rainbow dungarees with a celestial print, which were discounted, and a deck of Tarot cards I'd been looking at on Amazon for about eight months. 

Immediately I felt awful and texted Dai, telling him I needed him to hide my debit card, as I "was suffering a lack of self-control". Then I stopped and thought about it. Did I want to return the items? Well, honestly, no. The dungarees fit beautifully, went with a lot of my favourite items, and were gorgeous. I was pleased that I'd been able to find something so me in a local shop. The Tarot deck was bright and colourful, and had a very different vibe to my other deck, which is more dark and earthy. I do try not to collect decks, as I don't see the need, and I'm sceptical of collecting things just for the sake of it (everything takes resources, after all) but having two beautiful sets for different moods and different readings didn't seem like the end of the world.

I texted Dai again. "Actually, belay that. I've spent within my means and I don't regret what I've bought. It's not a self-control issue I'm having, it's a guilt issue."

Learning to shop mindfully scares me a bit, because historically I find moderation harder than an all-or-nothing approach. Last winter I tried to take a break from my endless shopping bans and immediately bought far too much. I'm the sort of person who finds it hard to eat just a couple of cookies. But, is all-or-nothing healthy, or have I been shooting myself in the foot trying to go from full-throttle shopaholism to a dead stop? Have I been subconsciously telling myself that I don't deserve nice things, or that I am bad, wrong or brainwashed for wanting those things in the first place?

Real Life Money was a really useful read for me, not just because of the similarities between Claire's shopping issues and mine - she discusses how new motherhood, body image and social media can all be factors at play, which I have definitely experienced. But I teared up reading things like this: "The appeal of stripping out every extra cost from your budget can be hard to resist, especially if you’re angry with yourself. But punitive budgeting just doesn’t work in the long run, because you grow resentful and bitter as you start to feel more and more deprived. If we take things right back to our goal of happiness, security and mental wellbeing, months and possibly years on end of putting your life on hold for the sake of improving your finances doesn’t really make sense. After all, to put a slightly morbid spin on the matter, you could finish off paying your debt or reach your savings goal, and promptly get hit by a bus. That’s not to say that it’s not healthy or necessary to make a few sacrifices – after all, if we carry on doing the exact same things, we can only expect the exact same outcome – but making sure we keep our emotional wellbeing front of mind is important."


A note: I regularly add new books to my Recommended Reading list (which lives in my sidebar for easy reference), and this month I decided to add an extra section specifically for books that I would definitely have included in the bibliography of The Anti-consumerist Druid, had I read them before submitting the manuscript. So if you're hunting for something new to read, you'll find all my favourites in that post.

12 comments:

  1. The two extreme ends of any spectrum are always equally dysfunctional because both depend on harmful "black and white" "all or nothing" thinking without context or nuance. What we should strive for is "moderation in all things" i.e. the balanced approach. Once all financial necessities are budgeted and paid for (the crucial first step), any money left over is "discretionary income" that can be used for things like fashion and tarot cards without guilt (taking into account that other people like your husband and child are also entitled to spend some of that discretionary income for their own benefit too). Balance and Priorities -- that's what it's all about, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, I must admit I'm very prone to all or nothing thinking. I often think it would be easier for me to never shop and go live in a small hut on a hill somewhere than it is to learn balance. But I've recently been looking at old photos of my style (for a future blog post), and as much as I don't want to be quite so obsessed with my appearance as I used to be - it really did end up being very limiting - I miss the confidence it gave me, at least externally. So again, it's got to be about finding that balance!

      Delete
  2. It's good to get others' perspectives on spending/consumerism - this book sounds like it was really helpful for you, Katrina. Mindful spending is the way to go, and shopping locally is awesome (shopping locally second-hand is, IMO, the best). There is no need to feel guilt over things that you need, and it's also OKAY to treat yourself every so often. It might help you to budget a "spend on me" amount monthly or per paycheque to give you "permission" to spend on yourself. I regularly move a set amount from my pay account to a "me" account, and if I have money in it, I am allowed to shop.

    Your rainbow overalls sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - I've sort of been doing something similar, in that I have some day trips arranged later in the year to places where I like to shop, and I'm trying to save up a set budget so that I can buy some things (but not ALLLL the things).

      Thank you! I'm very pleased with them :)

      Delete
  3. After reading your book, I came by chance upon a book called The Frugal Hedonist in my in-laws bookshelf. While some of the stuff inside was a bit "crunchy" for me, I liked the idea that you should save so tgat you could use that money for things you really enjoy like maybe a holiday (if Covid ever ends). It was a good reminder that we are allowed to give ourselves tangible treats. Also an interest feeling that maybe I was being given a sign, finding it so soon after your book. We will see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got that book on my wishlist 😂 how crunchy are we talking? And yes you're absolutely right, I was saving for a trip to Shetland, but that's been postponed until later this year due to covid - at the start of this journey (if you'll forgive the term) I wouldn't have had the wherewithal or the fortitude to save up enough for something like that. I do find it hard to prioritise things in the future over instant gratification, but I'm learning that some of my 'impulse purchases' are actually based on good intuition and I wear and treasure those things the most. It's just, as always, finding the balance - I definitely struggle a bit with that but I think I'm getting better (slowly).

      Delete
    2. Oh, you know, just a few suggestions for things like dumpster diving etc that are a bit too far for me. Definitely a good book, though!

      Delete
    3. Ah okay 😂 that's about my level of crunchy so I'll definitely give it a read 😅 thanks!

      Delete
  4. I also think it's ok to slowly move towards a wardrobe that reflects your style and items you truly love. Doesn't sound like you overdid it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I tend to panic 'in the moment' when I've bought something, but in general at the moment I think I'm making the right choices. I think it's easy to get frustrated if you don't feel your wardrobe is right, and it's hard to get out of the habit of wanting to throw everything I've got at the problem. That tends to lead to buying things that are close enough but not quite right, and hammering my finances over and over. I'm figuring out that it's okay to want to upgrade, but I have to learn to prioritise a few things at a time and get creative with what I already have. I've tried the fast approach enough times that I can be sure it doesn't work 😂

      Delete
  5. I do admire you. After decades of continual spending some seem to still be In the grip of a spend, spend, spend. I know now I was a spendaholic, just buying because it was there, not because I needed it. I don’t now. So well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't say it's been easy or straightforward 😂

      Delete