Thursday 30 December 2021

Mixed Messages, Self-Compassion and Sage Advice (or, Buy the Damn Teacups)

On my 'memories' on my phone's photo app, a picture from two years ago popped up, and I winced. On that day, I had got dressed quickly - as I often do - and I felt so uncomfortable when we ended up visiting a busy shopping centre. I was wearing a coat I didn't like, an ill-fitting, baggy pair of men's jeans, and a jumper that was too short. However, the main reason for my wince was that I still own all three items, and in fact have worn them all this week. Seeing the words "two years ago" on my app made me feel as though I'd been doing some kind of penance.

I showed Dai, explained to him how I'd felt in the outfit, and he gave me a long look. "You need to have a word with yourself."

He was right. Except, I'm not sure exactly what words I should be having! The opposite of the words I had to have with myself when I sat down with my bank statements in 2019 and identified how serious my overshopping habit had become? The problem there was that I still spent more than I wanted to on clothes in 2021 (more than in 2020, though I imagine that's the same for everyone) and for 2022 I really wanted to reduce my spend further (realistically, it's still high, though considerably less than 2019 levels).

How could I be spending more on clothes and yet still wearing items I knew I was less than keen on? I took a good hard look at my wardrobe, and it didn't take long to discover the issue. I had been buying more of the things I always tend to buy - T-shirts, accessories, funky trousers - and plumping up some areas that had become really sparse after baby-bearing body changes - skirts, dresses - and therefore I'd completely neglected the less fun, historically difficult, or simply expensive categories - jeans, coats, jumpers (and bras). Of course, that meant that every winter I was falling back on the same old less-than-ideal things.

At least I could understand what had happened! It's often easier to find T-shirts that I like than it is anything else, so I'm more often tempted by T-shirts than any other item! And buying jeans is always a mare, more so when you're concerned about pesticide use and water use and labour standards and so forth - trying to find jeans secondhand in a particular size, fit and colour, whilst accompanied by a toddler, isn't the easiest thing, and the prices from ethical, sustainable brands can often be prohibitive on my budget. So I'd just put it off. And put it off. And put it off. Because I didn't want to go to the effort of replacing something not-quite-right with something else not-quite-right, but couldn't see how else to proceed. Meanwhile my jeans were wearing out, and I was now down to one pair, which had lasted longest simply because they were my least flattering pair. With coats, the issue was simply: cost. Can I really justify replacing a serviceable coat, even if I don't like it?

Underpinning all of this is the fact that I've been avoiding getting rid of stuff, as I've often cleared things out and then wished I hadn't...! 


You may be thinking, wow, she's overthinking this. But we live in a culture that teaches us to buy, buy, buy, and not think about it at all.

When I've discussed my attempted shopping ban with others, I have often been told that I need to be kinder to myself. Most recently when Christmas shopping - one of my friends is a jewellery maker, so I was buying some gifts from her, and I really wanted a pair of teacup earrings! I explained I was trying not to buy things for myself, and she advised, "One thing I've learned from being sick [obviously I won't elaborate on anyone else's health issues] is that you have to show yourself some compassion." I translated this to: buy the damn teacups.

However, although self-compassion is important, I'm not convinced that my right to buy things is more important than the rights of garment workers to be paid a fair wage, or for communities to have clean air and water. I feel very aware that my wants, my purchases, don't exist in a vacuum. 

Writer and activist Aja Barber said on Instagram (responding to messages about affordable clothing being a human right), "Where do our human rights end and others begin in a world where the mainstream notion of achieving affordability currently looks like systems of exploitation?"


I think, now that I have written this all down in black and white, that it might be time for me to shop. I can't afford to replace everything all at once, and certainly not from new, so it's going to be a slow process, but that's as it should be, I believe. Otherwise I'll still be wearing the same coat two years from now, and two years after that, when instead I can sell it on whilst it's still in good condition and source one I actually like to wear. And I really can't go any longer without a couple more decent bras, sheesh!

Sheila has often given me sage advice, which I am going to do my best to follow: "Self Care Isn't Selfish. Lead by example to your kid(s) - take care of yourself and express yourself. You can do this without spending a ton of money, as you know, and I love that you're all about sustainability, but love every item you put on your body! If you don't love it, let it go," and, "You're the boss of you, Katrina. It's possible to shop ethically and ensure you donate stuff you don't need. A no-shop ban helps to make us more aware of how much we buy and can help tweak bad habits, but it's not a law. It's okay to shop and support brick-and-mortar businesses."

8 comments:

  1. I'm most interested in Dai's comment. Did he mean that you looked just fine and you shouldn't feel so insecure about superficial things like appearance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Dai, and he said "What I meant was, behave yourself!" So I asked for a bit of clarification, and eventually managed to translate the following: "The jeans, coat and jumper are all fine - the problem is your head, thinking you look hideous when you don't! Debra has hit the nail on the head."

      I must admit I was dumbfounded for a moment, as obviously I have interpreted him completely differently in the above post. "But you don't wear clothes you don't like," I eventually said, "so why should I?"

      He admitted I was right there. We eventually arrived at a solution: the clothes are probably fine as individual items, but I should definitely stop wearing them in that combination!

      Delete
  2. A lot of women go through these thoughts at some point in life. I have always enjoyed second hand shopping since it is better for the environment and those items tend to be my favorites. Good luck with a bra shopping. I did that this past year and it was not easy to find just the right fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must learn to be more patient when shopping secondhand, it used to be my go-to but I often get frustrated when I can't find exactly what I'm looking for!
      Bra shopping is absolutely a nightmare, so thank you for the luck, I'll need it!

      Delete
  3. It's hard when you feel like you have no choice but to wear the pieces you don't like as there are no other options in your wardrobe! Hopefully though you can make the most of the boxing day and new year sales and pick up a great winter coat you love - or even get one at the start of spring when things are reduced even further!

    Jeans are tricky and always something I prefer buying in person than online - but that's never easy with kids in tow! Definitely be kind to yourself and don't feel bad when you do buy things you like. There's a local denim brand here that's ethically made all the way down to the cotton it is made with. I cannot afford it. So I got a skirt from the brand on ebay instead, definitely more my budget! And I scored in the pre-Christmas sales with an extremely reduced from over $200 to $97!) new pair of jeans from the brand that I treasure. It's possible but definitely not instant to find the pieces in budget and in my size! I hope you find a way to focus on the things you want to add to your wardrobe and how you can get them in your budget - I even had luck this year finding denim in the opshops I was thrilled with, but that's after quite a while of finding no jeans that fit!

    Happy new year! Hope you have a great start to 2022!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had some luck at a Christmas market and scored a second-hand coat for a great price, so that's one category solved at least!

      I'm dreading the moment the jeans finally wear out, they seem to be pretty hardwearing (fingers crossed!) so with luck I will have time to find the right replacement pair. I haven't had a lot of luck with jeans for a few years (wrong fit, wrong colour, wearing out super quick), but they're such a staple I have no idea what I'd wear instead.

      Happy New Year to you too, hope it's a good one. :)

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you can just get what you need and not have it trigger any shopping addiction feelings. If you do really hate an item and have had it for a long time, it seems like it would be ok to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so 😂 my overthinking on this is completely insane, I know! I've made everything relating to clothes very complex in my head, I end up writing down my thoughts for this blog to try to untangle myself, which works... sometimes.

      Delete