Thursday 17 February 2022

Change, Not Sacrifice

In late December, since my finances were going to hell in a handbasket for reasons largely beyond my control, I decided to stop tracking my daily spends for a while, as it seemed like beating myself up more than anything. Although I'd conceived of this as a temporary break whilst I waited for life to get back on an even keel, I found it quite difficult to get on board with, as though not writing down my purchases would trigger some kind of enormous supermarket sweep that I wouldn't be able to stop. It seemed like giving up.

And in many ways, I think I was giving something up. It had become an almost subconscious belief that if I could just sacrifice enough, my individual actions would counterbalance fossil fuels, banks, governments, the entire underpinnings of capitalist society. As if one person's abstinence from air-freighted asparagus might tip the system.

It isn't that I don't believe individual actions are necessary or valuable. Quite the opposite! I believe that we each need to do what we can in our own lives and in our communities to build resilience, protect and repair our ecosystems, vote with our wallets, and otherwise gently but firmly wrest power from the corporations that hold it. 

However, my family, friends and peace of mind were telling me that since I can't singlehandedly perform miracles, I had to stop looking for the amount of personal inconvenience that would magically fix the climate. I have this kind of romantic ideal of the person I'll be when one day I don't want to shop any more and can afford an organic veg box again, when I live in a fictional idealised community that has a food co-op and a tool library and I can get everywhere I need to go by foot or bike.

The thing is, that's not where I live now, nor is it the life I'm living. Nor does making myself feel guilty about every choice, purchase or action get me there any faster.

I don't really accept the prioritising of personal luxuries over global issues. I'm not going to be cranking the heating up in January so I don't have to wear a jumper or sit with a blanket. It's still my intention to reduce my meat and dairy consumption and try to avoid air-freighted foods. But I do want to feel generally happy and comfortable, so I did finally fill a Thrift+ bag with the clothes I don't wear (or that I force myself to wear) and sent it off. I also finally decided that I'm not doing a shopping ban this year, although my intention is still to reduce my overall spend, especially on clothing, and choose wisely. The way I describe this change in the privacy of my own head is, "I want to dress in a way that makes my heart happy," and I'm working towards that.

I'm also trying to accept that at the moment I am skint, and so I can't always afford - for example - the Ecover washing up liquid instead of the supermarket basic. (I hate knowing it's damaging to aquatic life every time I do the dishes, but I also need to eat. Instead of blaming individuals, I'm learning to blame a) the companies who make these things, and b) the system that makes it more expensive to not harm the planet and imagines that trickledown economics is a viable way to sustain a fair and just society.)

One change I will be making is a move away from Amazon. I know, ironic for an author whose book will be sold there, but I don't like their approach to either resources or people, and I feel there are better places to put my money than in the pockets of billionaires. Honestly, it's something I've been thinking about but putting off for ages now, because the selection is so vast and the prices are so cheap. One of my survey sites pays in Amazon vouchers, which I used as a shopping ban loophole for a time. When they temporarily changed their vouchers, I found myself having to admit that I didn't want to spend actual money on some of the things on my wishlist. Because things were so cheap and plentiful, I was beginning to make poor choices.

Equally, in the same way I don't buy clothes from fast fashion retailers any more, so too do I want to move away from the 'pile it high, sell it cheap' mentality with regards to books. There's still the library, book swaps, charity shops and - for a real treat, as it was when I was growing up - independent book sellers.

Buying an item of clothing has become a more special occasion for me now that I do it less often, and usually in person, from a small retailer, often combined with a visit to an interesting place or event. I'd like to see this same shift with regards to buying other things. It feels like an improvement to my life rather than a sacrifice.

A complete Amazon boycott would be difficult - an awful lot of sites are hosted through their web services, for example. But I can move my custom to other booksellers, at least. 

So my plan at the moment is to change and improve the way I shop and what I spend money on, rather than to stop shopping entirely. Is this a step backwards or forwards? I guess I won't know until I try.

8 comments:

  1. All we can do is try to make the best choices we can, within our own circumstances. No one can do it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to ease up on myself a bit. I've been studying climate science recently and I think it's really kicked my "eco anxiety" into high gear, which doesn't help.

      Delete
  2. This all seems like a step forward, Katrina. We always walk that line of money, convenience and environment - we can't always do the "right" thing for whatever reason.

    I do not shop online and do not have an Amazon account. I also still don't have a phone! That helps a lot, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ease of shopping online - and the sheer vast amount of things constantly available - was a big contributor to my initial problems with buying far too much, so a blanket rule of not shopping online would probably be a sensible idea for me. I must admit do love the variety, but it does take a lot of the pleasure out of shopping too, whereas a physical shopping trip can be a sensual feast (particularly, as you exemplify, thrift/vintage shopping when you never know what you might find!).

      No phone and no Amazon account is very impressive! I salute you!

      Delete
  3. I think a lot of people (me included) have definitely gone the opposite way at times. Thinking we can't make a difference personally, so why try?! I think it is wonderful you think about these things, but try not to beat yourself up about it! As an overthinker, I know that feeling! And there are definitely some cheap supermarket products that seem to have an ok eco rating, even compared to more expensive brands. We use Earth Choice dishwashing liquid, which apparently is pretty safe (I remembered to check, I don't just trust something isn't greenwashed because it has earth in it haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love everything about this comment! I need to double check my washing up liquid brands 😂 in the UK, options seem to be either damaging or three times the price, which annoys the hell out of me every time I shop. I've never seen Earth Choice but I'll look out for it.
      I think I might have gone the 'why try' route had I not had a child - I feel like at the very least I need to be able to look him in the eye and say I did everything I could. The other reason is actually my Druidry and witchcraft practice (I was drawn back to Paganism because of my eco activism and now the two kind of feed into each other), it didn't make a lot of sense to me to be honouring the earth, the elements, the goddess of the land, and genius loci in ritual, whilst wilfully polluting water, earth and air and misusing fire. But yeah I definitely overthink, and sometimes get upset over things that are totally not my responsibility (no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that...).

      Delete
  4. remembering that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism definitely helps me with guilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had to remind myself of this today. Blame should lie with the brands not the consumers... We can all only do what we can.

      Delete