Thursday 3 February 2022

First Steps on the Path to Rewilding

Once I allowed that hopeful word 'rewilding' to take up space in my head, I had to start thinking about what, exactly, that was going to entail for me. A quick brainstorm threw up ideas like:

- being aware of the moon's phases

- having a 'sit spot

- writing poetry

- making something with my hands

- foraging

- permaculture

- going barefoot

It also meshed well with some of my other positive habits, like celebrating the seasons, decorating my altar with nature finds, going for daily walks, reading and journalling, as well as those habits that are always the first to go when my mental health takes a hit and my phone use goes up, like doing yoga, meditating, practicing my pennywhistle, and cooking from scratch.

It fit with the positive habits I wanted to create too, like eating locally and seasonally, getting more sleep, and shopping considerably less - and shopping second-hand or small when I do shop. It also kind of answered a conundrum that had arisen for me whilst I was trying to tackle my shopping habit - what do I do with my time, headspace and energy if I'm not constantly spending money on my image? Creativity, magic, activism - a triple-pronged answer that to me felt just the right kind of wild.

In short, the more I thought about it, the more rewilding myself seemed like the logical next step on my mission to re-enchant my life.

The first steps onto this path then became really obvious. I had to make space in my life to begin making these changes, and that meant my technology use had to get under control. Since reinstating my social media accounts to help promote my book, I'd gone from an average of twenty minutes a day phone usage to an average of three hours. It was a bit of a shock to me how little control I seemed to have over it and how quickly the hooks of addiction got under my skin. 

This time around I couldn't take the easy step of deleting my social media apps. Firstly, I didn't think my publisher would be hugely impressed, and secondly, I have a new (to me) phone which has the apps built in. I tried disabling the apps, but once I figured out I could re-enable them in about four seconds, it quickly became a pointless exercise. I started re-reading How To Break Up With Your Phone by Catherine Price, with the aim in mind of learning moderation. I wanted to be able to make a post every few days, respond to a few comments, emails or messages at a time, and then - crucially - put the phone down and get on with my life. It's eternally frustrating to me that I find this so difficult! I'll let you know how progress goes on this.

Next, I wanted to double down on my outdoor time. Whilst reading Rewilding the Urban Soul by Claire Dunn back in late summer, I'd gotten into the habit of taking my first hot drink of the day outside to the garden, and sitting on the patio to watch the wildlife in the trees and the clouds roving across the sky. Kind of a very domesticated version of a sit spot. And I noticed that it seemed to lift the mood of the whole day - not just for me but for the Spud too, who would charge around with his toy trucks in wellies and dressing gown. One morning he spotted a squirrel and was thrilled with his discovery for hours.

So as well as my daily walk, I wanted to take up this practice again. I'd been driven indoors by bad weather, but just as with walking, when I made the effort to wrap up warm and get out there it was always worth it.

In similar vein, my third resolution was to restart my practice of watching the sunset every day. This was something I'd stopped doing after we moved, simply because there was no longer a window conveniently facing in the right direction. But it wasn't exactly a hardship to take the time to sit on the doorstep for a little while. I was surprised by how much I missed those few daily moments of beauty. And surprised that I'd just let the practice slip.

Three things seems like enough to aim for, for now, although I do have some more ideas once I've managed to incorporate these habits successfully. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Rewilding is such an exciting concept! Good luck and have fun with it! Re-enchanting our lives and world is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered a book about rewilding and am interested to see if it will positively influence me. I am much more drawn to nature in colder weather where I can wander easily without getting too tired and hot. Australian summers can be brutal. In spring I was sitting outside to read a book in the afternoons, summer got too hot. The other day, due to a cold front, I was able to do it again and it was nice. Of course, we now also have lots of rain which I also don't get on well with! HAha!

    I definitely need to watch it with the internet. I find it easy to tune out and spend ages browsing and not actually achieving anything. i also somehow spent over $200 on cute secondhand shirts. They are all my style, but still, freaky how things add up.

    I would like to watch the sunset too but always seem to miss it. Perhaps I could write down the times and set an alarm or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Sounds like an interesting book, what's the title?

      I can only imagine Australian weather. We've been having longer and longer heatwaves here but obviously nothing like the temperatures you're dealing with...!

      OH GAWD me too, I'm better with that than I used to be but it's easy to be totally mindless with it, I used to spend actual DAYS on Tumblr or browsing random shopping sites.

      That's what I have to do to catch the full moon. Once you fall out of sync with the cycles around you it can be surprisingly hard to catch up again without giving yourself a nudge here and there.

      Delete
    2. Rewild Yourself by Simon Barnes

      Delete
    3. Ah yes I've read that one! A few years back now, but in hindsight it was probably one of a handful that steered me in this direction. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Well I do wish you luck. It’s frightening how much important stuff we seem to let slip almost absentmindedly. How can we when they are often simple but so important things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am HORRIBLY absent-minded anyway, but I think some of that is the four billion things I'm always trying to remember and some of it is the siren song of email. I am noticeably scattier when I have my social media apps enabled - never mind the sunset, I might not notice a herd of elephants in the garden...

      Delete
    2. I didn't actually mean 'email', I meant 'my phone'... But I guess that kind of illustrates my point, sort of.

      Delete