Thursday 10 February 2022

The Feral Gardener

Sitting in my garden this morning with my fleece over my dressing gown and a lovely, steaming mug of coffee, I smiled to myself wondering what my neighbours must think of my approach to gardening. My method can be described as a combination of thrift, ecological-mindedness, a fair amount of total ignorance about gardening, and a bit of laziness too. I like that the most ecological approach to gardening often seems to also be the easiest.

I did work hard last summer getting a lawn area seeded for the little one to play on, and planting our first vegetables. Then I was a tad disheartened when the lawn grew in patchy and we lost most of our radish crop to pests. The weeds, however, grow with abundance - I kept meaning to borrow a hoe and tackle them, after a few afternoons spent digging out each and every one with a trowel. Then I discovered books like The Forager's Garden (Anna Locke) and Letting in the Wild Edges (Glennie Kindred) and realised I could be digging out plants that were useful or beneficial. I decided to stop weeding indiscriminately and instead to learn what exactly I had growing. I also choose not to use chemical weedkillers or fertilisers, which sometimes feels like I'm stacking the odds against myself, but I'm adamant it's the right thing to do. 

One of the few things we bought new when we moved in was a compost bin, which is happily doing its thing. Dai's dad has offered us his old water butt, and we've made pathways out of rubble we found in the garden when we moved in, and planters for herbs out of whatever we could find, such as an old sink and a beer keg. Currently I'm saving up Amazon vouchers (one of the survey sites I use pays in Amazon vouchers rather than cash) for a bokashi bin set, so that we can turn our kitchen scraps - including those that can't be composted in a standard compost bin, like meat and dairy - into fertiliser.

The first frosts came around before I was ready, and we lost many strawberries and a couple of tomato plants. At first the colder weather drove me indoors, but after deciding to resume my morning sit spot regardless of the weather, I began to spot more and more wildlife in our weedy, scraggly patch. Robins are apparently partial to the three tangled elder trees that I had gingerly separated and gently pruned in the hopes of helping them avoid disease. There were blue tits in the bare-branched apple tree that reached over our fence from nextdoor. Once or twice we spotted a squirrel racing through the yew trees just behind our fence.

My neighbours on the left have the most velvety and pristine lawn you can imagine, which is nursed by sprinklers dawn till dusk, April till October (I've never seen their children in the garden - though I've seen them gaping at us from the bedroom window!). Comparatively, last year I decided not to mow my lawn, to help it establish itself, and since I haven't weeded it either what I have now is a small and bedraggled meadow (I will mow it in the spring!). I also didn't rake up the leaves from the neighbouring sycamore - I can't quite get behind the idea of raking a biodegradable, soil-nourishing product into plastic bags, so I'm hoping it will work as a kind of free mulch.

The result of all this is that right now, my garden looks a terrible mess. The clematis at the bottom of the garden has evidently been left unmanaged for several years, and has swarmed up the nearest yew tree with parasitical fervour to form a green wall between us and the cemetery. I'm not sure what I can do about that - I tried hacking it back last year but it has simply shot straight back up with undiminished enthusiasm. But in the spring we will have nettles for tea and soup, and in the summer we have blackberries - though Dai would rather plant a thornless variety. We were able to decorate our house for the winter solstice with holly and ivy from our own garden. 

As well as our three elders and nextdoor's apple we have a beech tree, a conifer and a small aster of some description. We've also tried planting a cutting from a friend's fig tree, and should soon find out whether or not that has been successful. So the ingredients for a forager's forest garden (and a small, handy grove) do seem to be in place, and I'm hoping that my job this year will amount to steering it in the right direction, and adding more and more edible plants. 

7 comments:

  1. I like gardens that run a little wild so that mostly sounds nice to me! We inherited our garden so the trees and bushes are mostly ones that take care of themselves. My favourites are the two types of jasmine, one that is always running up other trees and generally being uncontrolled but beautiful. I always plan to try a few more edible plants but then miss the season. Maybe one day I will be less scatterbrained. haha. Doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was a little prettier... It's very patchy at the moment and there's a lot of rubble and waste. I keep telling myself it will come together in time! Like you, I prefer things not to look too manicured.

      I'm very similar - or worse, I plant things and then forget to harvest, which is awful. Going to focus on just one or two plants this year in the hope that I won't do that again...

      Delete
  2. My Rare One loves to garden too. She makes and uses compost for her soil. In the fall, she cuts her clematis right down to the ground. They grow back in the spring and summer, no problem. She mainly grows root veggies in the garden, but also has a sizeable rhubarb patch from which I make rhubarb crisp and compote in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, I absolutely love rhubarb! A friend did dig one of hers out for me but I think the cold weather might have done for it unfortunately.

      I'll try being a bit more ruthless with the clematis. It's all tangled up with ivy and elder, and the whole mass seems to be holding our back fence up. Last year I must admit I cut it back enough to show some interestingly twisted trunks, threw some fairy lights at it and called it a job done 😂

      Delete
  3. I love my gardens on the wild side. Or witchy, according to my husband. There is something precious about letting a garden grow as it wants, with minimal guidance and helping it only when it needs it. I hope you share some pictures of your garden with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will - as soon as it looks slightly less like a wasteland. In fact, now might be a good time for some 'before' photos 😂 a witchy garden would definitely be my ideal I think (or as close as I can get whilst incorporating a toddler's slide and sandpit!).

      Delete